The Robertson Trust: About Us
The Robertson Trust
The Robertson Trust was established in 1961 by the Robertson sisters Elspeth, Agnes and Ethel who donated the shares in the businesses, founded and developed by their grandfather and father, to the Trust for charitable purposes. The origins of these businesses, based in Glasgow, stretch back to the 1850’s when William (W.A.) Robertson began business in the city. Keen to ensure their on-going success, the sisters brought them together under Edrington (named after the farm near their home) and established The Robertson Trust.
Today, the Trust controls Edrington, one of Scotland’s largest private companies in the Scotch whisky industry which owns the well known brands: The Famous Grouse, The Macallan, Highland Park and Cutty Sark. In 2008 it acquired a controlling interest in Brugal, a leading brand of rum produced in the Dominican Republic.
When the sisters established the Trust, their purpose was to ensure that the family businesses remained active and independent, and to continue and extend the past support they had given to charities. They were among the first Trustees, serving for a combined total of 71 years, ensuring that the Trust operated along the principles, which they, their father and grandfather had employed in the family business, namely: honesty, integrity and willingness to help people in trouble or need.
The Robertson Trust is an independent Scottish grant-making Trust (Scottish Charity No: SC002970). The object of the Trust is the provision of financial support for charities as defined by the Law of Scotland.
The Trust Deed confers wide powers on the Trustees to make payments to such charities as the Trustees determine. They have chosen to focus on organisations whose work takes place in, or which has a direct impact on Scotland. The Trust aims to identify and support charities, large and small, which can demonstrate that they can deliver measurable outcomes on behalf of the individuals, groups and communities they seek to serve.