The Founders Fund – Key Messages
What is the Firstport Founders Fund?
The Firstport founders fund has been set up to allow social entrepreneurs an opportunity to give back and enable the next generation of social entrepreneurs to get started. The Fund will raise money through donations on a crowdfunding platform to award one budding young entrepreneur the seed funding needed to get an social enterprise idea off the ground. The winner of the fund will be presented with the Barry Ayre award at a reception in July.
Target & Timeline
The target for the fund is £3,000 (the size of an average award) and the crowdfund site will be open between 22nd May and 30th June. Towards the end of the crowdfund period we will announce the shortlisted candidates for the award and those who pledged support to the fund will be invited to vote for their favourite entrepreneur/idea.
Every social venture needs an inspiring, ambitious and determined founder to turn an idea into reality. Firstport has been very fortunate to have Barry Ayre as an inspirational Founder and Chair. After six years at the helm, Barry will step down in July and the fund is our way of celebrating Barry’s support and achievements with Firstport.
Why we are doing it?
Through our business support and funding, we have enabled a whole generation of Scottish social entrepreneurs to be the founders of their own social ventures. Many of them are now up and running, growing and wanting to give something back to encourage a new generation of social entrepreneurs. The Founders Fund is our way of enabling those entrepreneurs a chance to give others the same opportunity and turn ideas into viable social ventures!
How does it work?
We have set up a crowd funding page www.buzzbnk.org/firstport/ which allows individuals/orgs to donate money towards one awards which will seed fund the ideas of one or more young people with a social enterprise idea. The winner of the Founders Fund will receive the Barry Ayre Award at an evening reception in Edinburgh on 11th July and will receive business support from Firstport to plan, launch and grow the business idea.
We hope that many of our award winners and social enterprise supporters will be happy to donate just because they like the idea of giving back, however, we have created incentives to encourage donations- from a simple social media shout out, to an invitation to the evening reception where the winner of the award will be announced, publicity & press opportunities, and more.
Actions to help spread the word
• If you have a Twitter account, please use the Founders Fund link and invite people to get involved. Please use the http://bit.ly/13Hchbe link as this will allow us to track clicks. The hashtag for the campaign is #FoundersFund. Here are a couple of ideas for tweets, but feel free to compose your own:
* Are you an existing #socent? Help a young person start one by donating to the @Firstport Founders Fund http://bit.ly/13Hchbe
* Support the next generation of social entrepreneurs! Donate to the @Firstport Founders Fund http://bit.ly/13Hchbe
* Use your LinkedIn account to spread the word too
* Email individual contacts who you think would like to get involved
* We have created an image for email footers (which you can see below my signature). If you would like to use it, please let me know and I will send it to you.