NGCFI aims to promote healthy living and cultural awareness in North Glasgow. Their projects will make available good quality low cost fresh fruit and vegetables to the local community and will provide opportunities for social integration between the diverse communities of North Glasgow.
Allotment project growing vegetables
NGCFI now also support the development of 3 ‘Food Hubs’ in Royston, Milton and Springburn.
Food Hub model of working:
– a joined up approach in a specific community, a virtuous and expanding circle of activity and involvement.
– all aspects of healthy food – growing, purchasing fruit and veg, cooking skills, enjoying and choosing a healthy diet
– community empowerment and social/campaigning aspects of food e.g. on food poverty or health inequalities.
– with partners wherever possible
– community involved in choosing, planning and running activities underpinned by volunteers
– processes supported by a Food Hub Activator