Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland – Elementary Food and Health Course
Understanding the links between diet and health
- Are you interested in food and healthy living?
- Do you feel confused by health and nutrition advice?
- Would you like to know more?
- Whether your interest is professional or personal this course is for you!
Do your accredited REHIS Food & Health training at low prices with Edinburgh Community Food
Elementary Food & Health is a nationally recognised seven hour course which provides training in the principles of good nutrition and getting a healthy, balanced diet. Our highly qualified team of friendly and approachable Association for Nutrition-registered Nutritionists have wide experience of delivering REHIS training to people from different backgrounds and all levels of experience.
This informative and useful course is packed with clearly delivered information that aims to cut through all the mixed messages about nutrition. It is designed for anyone with an interest in food and for those who work with food in any capacity, including: carers, home-helps, nursery staff, café staff/caterers and those whose voluntary involves food preparation or handling. It is also highly relevant for anyone who cooks at home. Candidates receive a book and will be tested.
Places on our courses are competitively priced at £55 per person, including course materials and certificate on successful completion of the course. Minimum number of participants 8. Maximum number of participants 15. [Lunches on the all-day course are not provided]
What do you get out of it?
- Gain a clear understanding of general nutrition
- Gain practically applicable knowledge for the workplace and the home
- Learn about ‘faddy’ diets
- Improve your and your family’s well-being
- Understand the consequences of eating habits on health
- Discuss the roles of carbohydrates, protein, fruit & vegetables, fat and fibre
- Understand the role of vitamins, minerals and trace elements
- Gain insight into maintaining healthy weight
- Identify different ways of preparing and cooking foods for a healthy diet
- Learn how to make sense of food labelling
- Gain a good understanding of food and psychological well-being, social relationships and self esteem
- Look at the roles of food in allergies and disease
- Successful course participants will receive the REHIS Elementary Food & Health certificate
Who is it suitable for?
The course is open to everyone and is suitable for all who are interested in nutrition and healthy eating, along with those whose work or volunteering involves the handling or preparation of food.
A good level of language comprehension is required. Course materials and examination papers are only available in English. People with any learning difficulty can get extra help by arrangement.
The course takes seven hours and includes activities and a short examination. It may be delivered over one full day or over two half days. Topics covered are:
- An Introduction to Food & Health
- The Function of Food
- Energy Measure and Influences on Food Intake
- Eating for Health: Food and Well Being
- Putting it all Together – Action Planning
“I really enjoyed the REHIS Food and Health course. I found it educational and informative. I learnt many new things and reinforced some things I thought I knew already. I felt that the course level was just about perfect for those with some knowledge and those with little or none.”
“Classes were informal, welcoming and interactive, and presented in a clear and concise manner without too many big and confusing words where everything was explained. There were also helpful hand-outs which I could use at home.”
“I found the course very informative not only in my professional capacity but also personally too. I will be able to use the skills I learnt at work with the Young Carers I work with. Part of our program is healthy eating, so this information is a very useful tool to help the young people learn about healthy eating. I would strongly recommend [it] to everyone. Whether you work with food or not, information like this is so valuable in every-day life.”